Saturday, April 16, 2005

Something Bush said

Friends, take a look at this:

I don't know that atheists should be considered citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.

-- President George H. W. Bush

Now who decides what a "belief in God" looks like? If it's the fundamentalist theocrats then I'm sure they wouldn't think that I believe in God since my concept of a Higher Power isn't anything remotely like theirs. So Bush would like to consider that I'm not a citizen, huh? And that goes for almost every Buddhist I know. And humanist. And neo-pagan. And all sorts of people who don't identify with any particular religious or philosophical tradition. What's wrong with being an atheist anyway? It's an honest position on reality and nobody, that's right, nobody can prove it one way or the other. How dare he? Has the man ever read the first amendment?
What can I say but that this is profoundly disturbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.