Sunday, May 21, 2006

The idea of justice

Yesterday, I posted the following quotation:


There's a simple, elegant saying. If you want peace, work for justice. Amen.


An anonymous commenter then posted the following in response:

Who gets to decide what is just?


I don't know whether the question is meant to elicit an answer or if it is merely rhetorical. If rhetorical, it could imply, I suppose, that, since people disagree on what is just, there is no need to make an effort to behave justly. I hope that is not what the commenter meant but I mention that attitude because it is very prevalent today. Equally prevalent among today's so-called conservatives is the fundamental embrace of selfishness that basically says, "I've got mine; screw you." Justice then becomes irrelevant, doesn't it?

When I read the comment, I immediately thought of that wonderful book by philosopher Mortimer Adler called, Six Great Ideas. The ideas discussed by Adler are: Truth, Goodness, Beauty, Liberty, Equality, Justice. Bill Moyers conducted a series of interviews with Adler on these ideas back in the early 80s. I remember sitting in front of the TV absolutely riveted. I was equally engaged reading the book. I certainly recommend it for anyone who wants to explore the idea of justice.

Basically there are two approaches to justice that date back to antiquity. One is that "might makes right" and that there is, therefore, no obligation by those in power toward those who are conquered or otherwise oppressed. The other approach is that there exists a fundamental obligation to basic fairness using some version of the Golden Rule as a reasonable guide: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" or "that which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor." Needless to say, I favor the fairness approach.

As to who gets to decide --- well, we do that collectively, don't we? When our nation was in its infancy we decided that justice included equality of all people under the law and a society that would promote "the general welfare". Sadly, the political climate today has lost sight of those lofty ideals. I am a patriot, however, and I still believe in liberty, equality and justice. They are increasingly unpopular virtues among right wingers. But true conservatives embrace them as passionately as progressives.

You might like to read an essay on justice which is excerpted from Six Great Ideas and published on the web as Some Thoughts on Justice.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:07 PM

    Yes, this question was meant to elicit an answer. Having read your response I am glad I did not elaborate further than the original question.
    Please, let me say that I do believe in justice when it is to the benefit of all. When I posed the question it was out of a belief that our sense of justice has become greatly skewed and that what is just is sometimes hard to know. Those who believe in the death penalty often say justice is being served. Those on the opposing side often say there is no justice in death. Several years ago there were major demnostrations in the United States against U.S. clothing factories in foreign countries using child labor in deplorable conditions and at horrifically low wages. These protests were carried out in the name of justice. Many of these factories were closed. As a result, many families were left without food on their tables because this was their only source of income. Were we truly serving justice when we did not see to it that these people had other means of meeting their needs for food, clothing and shelter? It is often easy to say an act is being conducted in the name of justice, but from whose view? I think we often try to help others in the name of justice without asking them what there need or view is--is this true justice? I am sometimes afraid justice is in the eye of the beholder--what seems just to the person on one end may not seem just to the person on the other end.
    The question also came from a feeling of we better be careful when we ask for justice because we may just get it and it may not be pretty. Do we really want to call for justice with the way we have been treating the rest of the world and even our own citizens?
    Maybe, part of the question was rhetorical because it was a reminder to myself that justice is not always easily discerned and I need to be careful before I do or say something in the name of justice to guard against doing that which is self-serving as opposed to just.
    Thank you, Ellie, for your response and the recommendations of the book and the essay.
    Also, I apologize for failing to put my name on the origial question.
    Carolyn L.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.