Friday, June 09, 2006

"I am a progressive."

Some guy on Eschaton named Kent made the following statement:

I'm for equality and same rights for everyone, I believe in an honest and accountable government, I'm for protecting the rights our forefathers gave us in the constitution, that my grandparents and great grandparents fought and died to protect. I'm for supporting our troops - which to me means giving them the best equipment (body armor, protected Humvees, etc), the best military plans they need to win, the best mental health support they need after a war, the best veterans' benefits possible - I'm for a strong middle class, I'm for shrinking the poverty gap not growing it, I'm for the separation of church and state, I think women should have the right to choose if they want to have an abortion or not, I'm against legislating Religion on people, I believe it's every individual's choice, I'm for strong marriage bonds - regardless of who the 2 people getting married are, I'm for basic social services, I believe that people born into severe poverty do not operate on the same playing field as those born into wealthy families, thus deserve more help, and I don't have a problem with that burden falling more heavily on the wealthiest 1% of Americans. I'm pro alternative energy and I believe in the science of global warming, I'm for protecting America without taking away civil liberties, I'm against torturing another human being. I believe every American has the inherent right to basic, affordable health care. I'm pro humanity. I'm a progressive.


You know, those things just sound like what a decent person would be for. But we've lost the value of decency in our society. Tragic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.