Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The president's 9/11 speech

Well, I followed last night's speech through live blogging. I really wasn't up to turning the television on and listening myself. (I like myself too much to subject myself to listening to Bush unnecessarily!) It was clear from the posts I was reading that the speech was brazenly political and partisan. I'm glad to learn that the Democrats think so too. Here's an excerpt from a CNN article entitled "Democrats blast Bush for 'playing politics' with 9/11":

While Democrats have been using public opposition to the Iraq war to argue for a change of leadership in Congress, Bush's prime-time address showed how he has been able to use the power of incumbency to command public attention and make his points. Democrats objected to the tone.

"The president should be ashamed of using a national day of mourning to commandeer the airwaves to give a speech that was designed not to unite the country and commemorate the fallen but to seek support for a war in Iraq that he has admitted had nothing to do with 9/11," Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, D-Massachusetts, said in a statement. "There will be time to debate this president's policies in Iraq. September 11th is not that time."


It was, of course, completely predictable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.