Friday, February 23, 2007

Change a bulb, change everything

Yes, I'm going to talk to you about lightbulbs again. I just now switched out the remaining bulbs in my kitchen so that room is all compact florescent now. I did my bedroom (where I spend most of my time) some time ago and also the lamp in my livingroom and the porch light. I have just a few more to go and my whole house will be done. As I've shared before, I switched out all the lamps in my office months ago.

I want to share with you an article called "Film maker, Yahoo team to fight global warming". Here's part of what it says:

SAN JOSE, United States (AFP) - Yahoo and the producer of the documentary "An Inconvenient Truth" launched a website devoted to rallying US consumers to fight global warming by switching light bulbs.

Lawrence Bender and US officials joined Yahoo at the Tech Innovation Museum in the Silicon Valley city of San Jose to announce an "18Seconds movement" and introduce the website
http://www.18seconds.org.

The website is devoted to mapping how quickly cities are converting from energy-wasting incandescent light bulbs to energy-saving, longer-lasting compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs.

The movement was named for the typical amount of time it takes a person to swap an incandescent light bulb for a CFL.

The amount of electricity saved by using a 13-watt CFL instead of a conventional 60-watt bulb translates into a reduction of 450 pounds of greenhouse gases spewed by a coal-burning power plant, according to Yahoo.

"This movement is about empowering the individual -- to say to every person in America that with one easy step, they can become part of a movement that will literally change the world," said Bender, producer of the Oscar-nominated documentary 'An Inconvenient Truth.'

Now here's a fact from the website:

What kind of difference can one CFL make? Consider this: If every American swapped just ONE bulb for an ENERGY STAR labeled CFL, it would collectively save more than $8 billion in energy costs, prevent burning 30 billion pounds of coal, and remove 2 million cars worth of greenhouse gas emissions from our atmosphere. Just imagine the difference we could make if we replaced all of the lights we use most!

It's so easy. It requires no sacrifice beyond the cost of the new bulb and that will save you money in the long run. Please switch! You can buy compact florescent bulbs at the supermarket. Again, it's so easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.