Thursday, December 13, 2007

The real meaning of compassion

I was amazed to find this:

Compassion is the keen awareness of the interdependence of all things.

-- Thomas Merton

Amazed at who said it, I mean. Sounds like something a Buddhist would say, doesn't it? Of course, Merton was influenced by Buddhism. It's just another example of how close serious practitioners of the spiritual path actually turn out to be regardless of their respective belief systems.

Now if we could just get the politicians of the world to realize this....

2 comments:

  1. So good. Thank you. This makes me realize I need to re-read some of the Merton books I read so many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,

    I just put up a series of posts about Merton that I think you’d enjoy at:

    http://michaelkrahn.com/blog/thomas-merton/

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.