Monday, January 21, 2008

Dr. King on the war of his day


Now the mainstream news organizations are going to call our attention to the "I have a dream" speech over and over today. What they are not going to do is remind us about is Dr. King's view on Vietnam. Take a look:

And I knew that America would never invest the necessary funds or energies in rehabilitation of its poor so long as adventures like Vietnam continued to draw men and skills and money like some demonic, destructive suction tube. So I was increasingly compelled to see the war as an enemy of the poor and to attack it as such.
...
I haven't only urged Negroes not to fight. I feel that the war is so unjust, so abominable, so futile and bloody and costly that nobody should be fighting there. I haven't limited my concern to just the American Negro although I know we are dying in disproportionate numbers there and we are on the losing end both there and at home. Because as long as the war in Vietnam continues social programs will inevitably suffer here at home.

Just fill in the word Iraq for Vietnam. It is, indeed, a "demonic destructive suction tube."

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.