Monday, June 02, 2008

June is Adopt-a-Cat month

I found this out through an email from the American Humane Society. The Society puts forth the following very good reasons for sharing your home and your heart with a cat:

* Having a cat reduces your blood pressure and helps prevent heart disease
* Having a cat fights depression and loneliness
* Cats are entertaining to watch and fun to play with
* Cats provide companionship
* Cats will cuddle up with you on a cold evening
* Cats are independent and can be left alone while you’re at work
* A cat’s mere presence will ward off unwanted mice and pests
* Cats are comfortable in small spaces like apartments
* Cats are very clean; they bathe themselves!
* A cat’s purr is instantly calming and relaxing
* Cats are affectionate
* Just 15 minutes a day of playing with you will satisfy a cat
* Cats are easy to house train, especially adult cats, who are probably already house trained
* Cats bring a little bit of the wild into your house
* Indoor cats and spayed/neutered cats live long lives, providing up to 20 years of companionship
* Cats are cheaper to spay/neuter than dogs, especially big dogs
* Taking care of a cat can help teach a child responsibility and humane values
* Lots of cats need good homes; when you adopt one, you’re saving a life!


Here's some information from the Humane Society about the adoption process.

4 comments:

  1. All true. . . except the mouse part. We have eleven cats (all strays taken in) and we STILL have mice. Not many, though; and this is an old, badly built house, so not bad, I suppose. And they also catch the voles that eat my tulip bulbs. (Yes, they go out; we have a couple of acres at the end of a dead-end road and aren't near any major roads. So far as I can tell, they never leave the property, except occasionally to the next-door neighbor's yard to stalk rabbits. Besides, I'm allergic to cat hair; if they couldn't go out, I'd have a problem.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Timely then that Isabelle and I stopped for me to pump up my bike tires at the exact spot where three homeless kittens were hiding amongst the junipers. Now they're sleeping in the bathroom and at least one will probably become part of the family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just adopted two little ferals that were trapped in a local colony. I got them at 4 weeks of age and they are now 7 weeks old and wonderful. The older cats in the colony are being neutered/spayed and returned to the colony. Just the kittens or really young cats are being adopted out.

    I still miss the Mu-man (the sweet old feral fellow who lived with me for over 16 years), but Boo, the alpha female, and Doc, the shy male, have put new life into the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad, BooCat. I know how you miss Mu-man. I'm happy you've got some new ones. A house is just not a home without cats!

    Anita, I'm so impressed with your having taken in ELEVEN strays!!!

    Maggie, I'm really glad that you were able to rescue the babies!

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.