Saturday, February 21, 2009

What are we DOING?

I remember as a child in the 50s believing (as I think most of us did) that "the future" would be a time of vastly increased leisure. I also remember people talking about that as if it would be a good thing!

What has happened to that dream, that aspiration?

Here's something I found today that reminds me of those earlier expectations:

Modern methods of production have given us the possibility of ease and security for all; we have chosen, instead, to have overwork for some and starvation for others. Hitherto we have continued to be as energetic as we were before there were machines; in this we have been foolish, but there is no reason to go on being foolish forever.

-- Bertrand Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.