Thursday, July 16, 2009

Voice of the Day

Here's something Sojourners sent out today:

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.

- Mother Teresa

Yesterday, a friend sent me a page full of right wing style political cartoons and bumper stickers. One of the bumper stickers said this: "Why should I pay for your health care?" (A less polite way of putting that is, "I've got mine; screw you.")

Of course, there are many appropriate responses to that question. One is the rhetorical, "Why should I pay for your police protection?" or "Why should I pay for your children's education?" But the most powerful and acurate response is, "Because we are not really separate; we belong to each other."
~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.