Friday, November 13, 2009

Quote of the week

Well, it's the quote of the week in my humble opinion. Take a look:


Muslims make up roughly one quarter of the world’s population. Just because one out of almost 1.5 billion ran amok, leaving 13 dead and 23 wounded, does not mean the entire Muslim nation* is responsible.

That's the opening sentence of an opinion piece by Linda S. Heard found on the Online Journal.

By the way, I just went looking for information on Linda Heard and found a piece she wrote entitled "You Think You Are Free?" that I think is worth calling to your attention. It's short so I encourage you to read the whole thing. I really agree with the quotation by Neil Postman toward the end about the respective predictions of George Orwell and Aldous Huxley.

Let me know what you think.

* Oh, I almost forgot. It's really unfortunate that she used the word "nation" here and, given what she just said about Muslims making up one fourth of the world's population, I wonder if that's what she really meant. I think she meant "religion", actually.
~~~

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:37 PM

    If this were to happen "because we need the information", Then(I hope)all of the Officials in charge of gathering it would be free and open to share where THEY have been,what THEY are doing,reading, buying, and where THEY are traveling!
    p.s. The sad thing is... as I am writing this I live about 50 miles from a bombing range and they just started practicing to bomb "somebody" today (somebody-would be living people, sadly) My poor dog is cowering at my feet looking at me and she, my dog,and I, are wishing that money for bombs could go elsewhere...

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.