Thursday, November 26, 2009

Two quotations for Thanksgiving Day

Oddly enough, I had not come across this one before today:

Thanksgiving Day, a function which originated in New England two or three centuries ago when those people recognized that they really had something to be thankful for - annually, not oftener - if they had succeeded in exterminating their neighbors, the Indians, during the previous twelve months instead of getting exterminated by their neighbors, the Indians. Thanksgiving Day became a habit, for the reason that in the course of time, as the years drifted on, it was perceived that the exterminating had ceased to be mutual and was all on the white man's side, consequently on the Lord's side; hence it was proper to thank the Lord for it and extend the usual annual compliments.

~Mark Twain

And this one makes a very, very good point as far as I'm concerned:

I have strong doubts that the first Thanksgiving even remotely resembled the "history" I was told in second grade. But considering that (when it comes to holidays) mainstream America's traditions tend to be over-eating, shopping, or getting drunk, I suppose it's a miracle that the concept of giving thanks even surfaces at all.

~Ellen Orleans

Well, however you have observed the day, I hope it was truly happy.
~~~

3 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving, had a wonderful time (probably because we´re expats living abroad and it seems to be especially warm and friendly to share OUR HOLIDAY with others)...nice.

    Leonardo Ricardo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Leonardo!

    I'm glad it was good. Yes, I know what you mean. I've lived as an ex-pat myself. (Although some years I completely forgot about Thanksgiving just because there was no hoopla all around me about it!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ellie!
    Just another Thanksgiving greeting from Central America. We had a great dinner with our extended family on Friday.
    I have posted my version of the U.S. Thanksgiving myth, starring Red Mr. Peanut Bank and Gallito Mescalito over at Padre Mickey's Dance Party. It may clear everything up for you.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.