Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sunday morning nostalgia blogging


Anyone old enough to remember candy cigarettes? You can actually still get them right here. I stumbled upon a website this morning called Old Time Candy: Candy you ate as a kid. Lot of fun down Memory Lane!

Here's a wonderful story sent in by someone named Steven:

My favorite candy memory would have to be candy cigarettes. I remember hanging out with my best friend across the street when we were about 8 or 9. We would always want to act cool and be with the older guys on our street who always used to smoke cigarettes.

Well there was no way me and my friend were going to start smoking, we both had bad asthma and could never touch the stuff (or ever want too). We would then always walk down the street with as much change we could find under our couches to the candy store and buy boxes of candy cigarettes. We felt so cool. Looking back now, I don't know why I ever wanted to hang out with people like that, but at the time it felt good to feel like that, and in a weird way, that candy gave us confidence.

My grandfather was a heavy smoker too, and later lost his life to lung cancer, but whenever he saw me with those candy cigarettes, he told me and my friend to stick with the candy, not the real stuff. that has always stayed with me.

Yes, I also lost a grandfather to lung cancer. And a great uncle to throat cancer. So, if you smoke, dear people, please quit. And if you don't, please don't start. But remembering these old candies is fun.

It's just amazing what you can still find if you want to. Wax lips, anyone? :-)

~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.