Saturday, April 23, 2011

Yesterday's "Earth Day"


I really wanted to post something about Earth Day yesterday but I found myself really needing to devote my time to contemplation regarding Good Friday.

Here's the title of an brief article I'd like to call to your attention:

Earth Day organizers call for 'a billion acts of green'

And here's part of what it says:

If the environmental movement has a high holiday, Earth Day is it.

The annual effort to raise public awareness about the environment and inspire actions to clean it up marks its 41st anniversary on Friday, coinciding with the Christian Good Friday and Judaism's celebration of Passover.

In an effort dubbed "A Billion Acts of Green," organizers are encouraging people to observe Earth Day 2011 by pledging online at act.earthday.org to do something small but sustainable in their own lives to improve the planet's health — from switching to compact fluorescent light bulbs to reducing the use of pesticides and other toxic chemicals.

"Millions of people doing small, individual acts can add up to real change," said Chad Chitwood, a spokesman for the umbrella group coordinating efforts.


Okay. That seems rather obvious, I know. Except it's utterly true. Please don't think that any effort you make is not worth it because it is so small. These things work by cumulative effort and the more people decide to participate, the more effective they are.

I switched out all my light bulbs several years ago and started recycling everything I possibly could. These days I'm working on eliminating toxic cleaning products.

What earth-friendly activities are working for you these day? Do tell us in the comments.
~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.