Monday, July 11, 2011

Betrayal by the president

Over on AMERICAblog, there's a post entitled "Dems afraid Obama is giving away their electoral advantage on Medicare" by John Aravosis.

He quotes the following:

Senators Murray and Schumer, along with other Dems like Debbie Stabenow and Mark Begich, have warned against deep cuts in recent leadership meetings, a source familiar with the meetings says, another sign of the unrest that the possibility of serious entitlements cuts is creating among Congressional Democrats.

“We shouldn’t be giving away our advantage on Medicare,” said a source familiar with Murray’s thinking, in characterizing her objections in private meetings. “We should be very careful about giving away the biggest advantage we've had as Democrats in some time.”

“For the first time in the past two and a half years we have an unmitigated advantage on a single issue where our entire caucus is united,” the source continues. “This is a case where the whole morale of our party was lifted by the fact that we were taking the fight to Republicans.”


I just don't understand. It's crazy. Apparently, there is talk (and from the president himself, no less) about raising the age for Medicare from 65 to 67. Needless to say, this will create a huge personal hardship for me (not to mention, millions of other Americans).
~~~
UPDATE: Here's the email I just sent to the White House:

Dear Mr. President:

I donated to your campaign, I campaigned enthusiastically for you, I voted for you with considerable joy. But I promise you, if you allow the age to be raised for Medicare eligibility, you will not only not get my money or my campaigning efforts, you will not get my vote. I'll stay home.

Sincerely,

Sister Ellie Finlay, age 62, lifelong Democrat
~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.