Thursday, April 05, 2012

Why?

I actually understand this. I really do. I can easily imagine being in this man's predicament. What I don't understand is how humanity, as a species, can allow its members to be brought to this point.

"I find no other solution than this dignified end before I start searching through the trash for food."


-- THE SUICIDE NOTE OF AN ELDERLY GREEK MAN who shot himself in the head in front of Greece's parliament over his financial troubles; demonstrators took to the streets of Athens, clashing with riot police
~~~

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:01 AM

    As bad as things may be in Greece, it's nothing compared to the poverty I've seen in my travels to Nepal, and, to a lesser extent, eastern Turkey and Tunisia. You ask a great question: how do things get that way? The answers seem so very, very complex, and often depend on the country. But it so often boils down to self-centeredness of the political class.

    --Bryan Doug

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.